Monday, June 04, 2007

Othello - Skakespeare



One of Shakespeare's most famous tragedies along with Hamlet, King Lear and Romeo and Juliet. It tells the story of the Moor of Venice, Othello, who falls foul to jealousy. He is encouraged by Iago who dislikes Othello I think because he in turn is jealous of him and his position and reputation. Iago enlists the help of Roderigo who is in love with Othello's wife Desdemona. They conspire to make it look as though Desdemona is having an affair with Cassio who Iago is also jealous of.

I didn't think much of Othello's character, believed Iago far too quickly and didn't show any faith in his wife and her love for him. She went against her father's wishes to be with him. Although Othello has a great reputation, there is still a lot of racial discrimination against him because he is a moor and her father is set against it because of this. Iago was a nasty piece of work as well and I was glad his schemes were brought out into light. I was also glad Othello knew the truth about Desdemona before the end.

***1/2 out of 5

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

They made a teen movie based on Othello a few years ago with Josh Hartnett as (Hugo)Iago, Julia Stiles (who I just love) as Desdemona (Desi) and Mekhi Phifer as Othello (Odin). It was called O and it was actually a pretty good movie. I actually have never read Othello!! Man..I totally need to do that soon!

Rhinoa said...

Thanks for telling me about the film, I don't remember that one. I saw it in the cinema years ago with Laurence Fishburn playing Othello who later became famous for being in The Matrix as Morpheus. He was pretty rubbish in it at the time though!

Dewey said...

Which do you prefer for Shakespeare: reading the plays, seeing a movie or seeing a play in the theater?

Rhinoa said...

I prefer seeing a play in the theater. If it is one I don't know then I will read a summary first online as sometimes it can get a bit confusing otherwise! We saw Anthony and Cleopatra and The Tempest a few months ago on the stage which were both great.

Movies are my last choice I think.

alisonwonderland said...

i saw Othello on stage a few years ago at the Utah Shakespearean Festival. it was well done. reading Shakespeare is hard for me, although i enjoy reading commentary about the plays.

i've wondered about O. (like stephanie, i love Julia Stiles.) i may have to rent it.

Zeek said...

hey I say the fishburn incarnation too! The best part was kenneth branaugh as Iago- the rest was pretty much meh.

The best Othello scene I've seen was actually played out within in a movie.

In Stage Beauty starring Claire Danes and Billy Crudup do the kill scene at the very end of Othello- and the very end of the movie- in such a great way I wish they had done the ENTIRITY of Othello!

Daphne said...

I have never read Othello, but then I have never been a big fan of reading Shakespeare. I am impressed with the books you are currently reading though - I really need to read some of them.

Nymeth said...

I see that this wouldn't be a good choice as my next Shakespeare.

I am very curious about O now though - I too love Julia Stiles. I loved her on "10 Things I Hate About You", which is a teen version of Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew".