Monday, June 25, 2007

Rating : 4.5/5
Reason for reading : Guardian 100 greatest books of all time challenge and personal interest

This classic follows the changing fortunes of Pip. His life becomes interesting when he first meets an escaped convict in the marsh lands near where he lives. He helps him out, taking him food and a file. The second main person to have an effect on his life enters as Miss Haversham who has spent every day since she was jilted by her fiance in her wedding dress with the clocks stopped at the time she recieved her devastating news. He also meets her adopted daughter Estella there and falls in love.

Pip learns he has a mysterious benefactor from enigmatic lawyer Mr Jaggers who makes him a gentleman, on the condition he makes no effort to find out their identity. He travels to London and befriends Herbert and the womderful assistant to Mr Jaggers, Wemmick. Wemmick lives in a castle complete with draw bridge, a cannon he fires every night and his father "the Aged" who is hard of hearing and responds to nodding.

Pip was a charming character you really want to succeed. The supporting characters were great too and I loved the humor throughout the book. It was a wonderful book which I highly recommend and I can defiantely see why it is such a classic.

7 comments:

Chris said...

I should really read some more Dickens. I've read A Tale of Two Cities and I absolutely loved that one. Great Expectations is one that I've always wanted to read...I should fit it on a challenge list sometimes soon. Great review!

Rhinoa said...

Thanks Chris. If you liked Two Cities you will definately love this one too.

Margo. said...

I can't wait to read this one. :)

Stephanie said...

This is my favorite of the Dicken's that I've read! I just loved this book!

Dewey said...

One of my all-time favorite books! I can manage to spark any Dickens love in my husband, though.

Nymeth said...

I need to read more Dickens - all I've ever read, other than a few short stories, was "A Christmas Carol"!

Trish said...

Dickens has the best characters. If you ever have a lot of time on your hands (bc its about 800 pages long), try out Our Mutual Friend. You don't hear as much about it, but its my favorite...

Doesn't your heart break for Pip at the end? I'm just not convinced that he'll ever be truly happy...