Thursday, June 07, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

Encore

Booking Through Thursday

Almost everyone can name at least one author that you would love just ONE more book from. Either because they’re dead, not being published any more, not writing more, not producing new work for whatever reason . . . or they’ve aged and aren’t writing to their old standards any more . . . For whatever reason, there just hasn’t been anything new (or worth reading) of theirs and isn’t likely to be.
If you could have just ONE more book from an author you love . . . a book that would be as good any of their best (while we’re dreaming) . . . something that would round out a series, or finish their last work, or just be something NEW . . . Who would the author be, and why? Jane Austen? Shakespeare? Laurie Colwin? Kurt Vonnegut?

It's funny as I would normally say I would love to read more by JRR Tolkien, but they keep "finding" manuscripts he was working on and publishing them even though he is sadly dead. I love returning to Middle Eath and another book in the series would be great, maybe something set after LOTR. Another author I would like to read more by is Marion Zimmer Bradley in the Avalon series, yet the same thing has been the case with her. Two books have been published in the Avalon series since her death. Again this is a world I love returning to and there is always space for another tale.

Another choice would be Anne Rice writing something else in her Vampire or Mayfair Witches series. They are my favourite series of books and since the death of her husband she is not going to be writing any more. I enjoyed Christ the Lord and hope she will do a follow-up, but it isn't the same as Lestat, Louis, Pandora, Marius, Rowan Mayfair etc. Both sets of series could easily be extended and there could be another book that brings the two tales together like Merrick or Blackwood Farm *sigh*

15 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

This is a tough question for me... I agree with you about Tolkien. Wonder what he would write today?

meli said...

I would like Dostoevsky to have written the sequel to The Brothers Karamazov, that he was planning to write before he died. Then again, The Brothers K is so brilliant it would take a genius to improve on it. Which he was.

Kristy said...

It's amazing how books keep showing up! Happy BTT!

Chris said...

I've been disappointed with Rice for a while. The Witching Hour was the last one that I really loved.

Dewey said...

I love that you say "finding" with quotation marks, because you just know that they've spaced out the release of manuscripts they've had all along so as to optimize their value when a new one is released.

teabird said...

I keep meaning to read the Avalon series - thanks for reminding me! My favorite Rice was the Mayfair series, but I tired of it after awhile.

My response is here

Stephanie said...

This is such a tough question!! There are so many great authors out there!!

I agree with Anne Rice. My favorite books of hers are actually the Witch books, followed VERY closely with the Vampire Chronicles. I will miss them!!

Nymeth said...

sigh, I'd have to go with Anne Rice too. I'd love one more book good enough to make me forgot how bad "Blood Canticle" was.

Daisy Cat said...

I have read the LOTR series, but only once the film had come out, prior to that I could not get into them. I watched the first film and read all three books back to back. Anne Rice I keep being told to read as I loved the original film (the second was awful!), but I am told the books are better. Happy BTT.

angeleque said...

Marion Zimmer Bradley and the Avalon series is one of my favorites too.

http://flava.wordpress.com/2007/06/07/booking-through-thursday/

MyUtopia said...

I have so many! I like meli's suggestion. I would have liked another Steinbeck or Tolstoy.

Alice Teh said...

I have 2 of the Avalon series, but haven't got around to reading them yet. Hehe... I've read Tolkien's LOTR and will definitely check out his other works.

Happy BTT to you!

Literary Feline said...

Oh, yes! Definitely more of the Witches of Mayfair. I love that series. :-)

Kailana said...

Have you actually read the other two books that came out since she died? I finally started Ancestors, and got about 50 pages in and stopped because it didn't feel like the other books to me. I intend to pick it back up, but the other books just feel different to me. That being said, I will probably buy Ravens when it comes out in August!

a.book.in.the.life said...

I have had trouble reading the extras by Tolkien, I only seem to have been able to read Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit- this was before the films came out! I will try and give them another go some day.