Monday, June 18, 2007


I signed up for this challenge today hosted by 3m over at Book Awards Challenge where you read 12 books over a year that have won a prize (there is a list on the website with links to books put forward). I couldn't narrow it down to 12 so I picked 16 and I will see how many I get through during the year. The challenge runs from 1st July 2007 until 30th June 2008.

The books I have picked are:

1) Perdido Street Station - China Mieville (Arthur C Clarke Award)
2) Quicksilver - Neil Stephenson (Arthur C Clarke Award)
3) Iron Council - China Mieville (Arthur C Clarke Award)
4) Life of Pi - Yann Martel (Man Booker Prize)
5) The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood (Man Booker Prize)
6) The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy (Man Booker Prize)
7) Paddy Clark Ha Ha Ha - Roddy Doyle (Man Booker Prize)
8) American Gods - Neil Gaiman (Bram Stoker Award and Hugo Award)
9) Eats, Shoots & Leaves - Truss (British Book Prize)
10) Wild Swans - Chang (British Book Prize)
11) Beowolf - Seamus Heany (Costa/Whitbread Prize)
12) Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood (Giller Prize)
13) Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanne Clarke (Hugo and World Fantasy Award)
14) On Beauty - Zadie Smith (Orange Prize)
15) Beloved - Toni Morrison (Pulitzer Prize)
16) Perfume - Patrick Suskind (World Fantasy Award)
17) Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson (Newbery Medal)

8 comments:

Nymeth said...

Oooh, Perdido Street Station qualifies... that's very tempting; I've been meaning to read Mieville for a while.

I'm not completely done picking my list, but I think we're going to have a few titles in common, namely 6), 14) and 15). I look forward to exchanging impressions with you!

And yay, you are reading American Gods!

Rhinoa said...

Cool should be fun. My husband is a big Mieville fan and has been pestering me to read them for a while now so I really should make the effort. Apparently The Scar goes between the two on my list in reading order.

Chris said...

Yay for American Gods, Beowulf and Jonathan Strange...all 3 are great and you'll love them. I've been going back and forth on this challenge and even though it's a great one I think I'm going to pass on it. There's just no time and I have too many other books to read! Best of luck to you though!

Rhinoa said...

Fair enough Chris. You have a little while to catch up if you change your mind. I am actually really looking forward to this challenge and starting it next month :)

Stephanie said...

What a great list! I still haven't finished mine, though I may have to add the Mieville books. My brother loves them. Yeah for American Gods! I loved this one!

I'll probably also have The Blind Assassin on my list. Looks like a good one!

Valerie said...

American Gods is such a great read! I love that book and it's definately one of a kind.

Velvet Goldmine is definately in my top 5. It was so unique and different. Let's face it the cast was awesome and the music was good too. =)

Right now I am on HP and the Order of the Phoenix. Not bad, frusterating but not bad. =D

ames said...

Ooh, I have some of those books in my TBR pile. Sounds like an interesting challenge.

I tried reading the Blind Assassin, no go for me. :P I started the Life of Pi, and absolutely loved the beginning (that's how far I got LOL).

Good luck!

Trish said...

Just finished The Blind Assassin a few months ago and really liked it. Hope to read more Atwood in August (so much reading to do, so little time).