Saturday, June 30, 2007


Today we drove to Avebury and back for my friend Hazels Handfasting to Ernie. A Handfasting is a Pagan wedding and isn't recognised legally in the UK at the moment (they will do the legal bits at some point as they have 3 children between them). The weather was horrible but stopped just as we started the ritual and started again just after which was a blessing. The ceremony was lovely (me and Alex did one of the Quarter calls) and lots of people were wearing dresses Hazel had made. She actually made the dress I wore for my wedding and Handfasting (see it pays to do both as you get to wear two different dresses!) as well as my bridesmaids and flower girls.

We weren't allowed cameras during the ceremony and I only had my phone with my anyway which didn't take decent ones. The only good photo I got was of the sheep above sheltering from the rain underneath one of the medium sized stones. See the thing about Avebury is that it is the largest stone circle in the UK (including Stonehenge which is only down the road). If you make it to the UK I recommend visiting here as unlike Stonehenge, you can walk freely between the massive stones which surround the entire town/villiage.

4 comments:

Chris said...

That sounds amazing! And it's great that you were part of their ceremony :) Such beautiful scenery too. One of these days I'm going to make it to the UK. It's on the top of my list of things to do in life....

Nymeth said...

That sounds like a great place! I'll be definitely adding it to my itinerary for when I'm over there. I already had Stonehenge in mind, but this sounds even better.

soleil said...

i went to england after high school with my drama group. it was a very planned out trip which in the end i didn't mind because when i travel on my own i tend to have a much more leisurely pace. stonehenge was on the agenda and it definitely was amazing but slightly frustrating because we couldn't quite get inside. and since it was a school function and super planned out which didn't include avebury i still haven't made it there. my other trips to london have been quite brief indeed, two days. but one day i will get to a stone circle and will have the pleasure of feeling all of that wonderful sacredness.

Rhinoa said...

Soleil: It's definately worth a visit and it is lovely to be free to walk among the stones unlike the setup at Stonehenge.

Nymeth: You should definately add it to your trip. It's not very far from Stonehenge and there are also 8 White Horses nearby in the fields you can go via.

Chris: Yes it was lovely to have been included in the ceremony.