Tuesday, May 29, 2007


This novel won the Nobel Prize for Literature and has become a classic since it's publication in 1954. It takes place on a deserted island where a group of boys have been stranded after the plane they were in was shot down (during a war). Things start off like paradise, with no grown-ups telling them what to do. They set up a rule system and are able to fend for themselves whilst still remaining civilised. Gradually their systems break down and their savage instincts begin to take over.

This was possibly the scariest book I have ever read. Where 1984 is scary as it is what we could become, this is scary because it is what we are. It shows the human boys as beasts and stresses that this nature is contained within us all just waiting for the right circumstances to come out. I associated the most with Simon and his need to be able and understand what was really happening. I also felt for Ralph and it was painful to watch his struggle to maintain his human side and not give in like the others did or were forced to. The most interesting point was that Ralph and Jack started off so similar and in the end became ruled by completely different passions.

Very well written, this is essential reading. I believe it will stand the test of time and remain a classic.

***** out of 5

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

This book has gotten a bad wrap recently, but it's one I enjoyed reading years and years ago. I may have to re-read it one of these days just to see what perspective I take now. Great review!

Bybee said...

This is another book that I keep meaning to try, but somehow put it off again and again. Would it be too trite to say, "so many books, so little time?"

Margo. said...

Sounds great Katie. One I will add to my list. ;)

Athena said...

I've had to study this book twice for school, and I wasn't sick of it either time because it is so dark, psychological, and revealing. I agree that it's pretty essential reading, and definitely scary.