Tuesday, May 22, 2007



This is the first book I have read by Charles de Lint after having him recommended to me some time ago by an online friend. It's a modern fairy tale similar to work by Neil Gaiman and Holly Black, which follows 17 year old Imogene. She was brought up in a hippie commune before moving into more normal society where she got into a lot of trouble in school (gangs, underage sex, drink, drugs etc). She has now moved to Newford with her mother and brother and is looking to make a fresh start and leave her troubles behind.

She befriends Maxine, another girl who suffers from bullying like Imogene does from "The Doll People" (cheerleaders and jocks essentially) and they strike up a powerful friendship. Things however become complicated when local ghost Adrian falls in love with Imogene, fairies get involved and Imogene's childhood imaginary friend Pell-Mell "Pelly" show up.

I really loved this book. It covered the Otherworld really well as well as stressing the importance of friendship and that friends are the family you choose for yourself. It also looks at not judging people based on their looks, dress sense or other pre-concieved ideas. I will certainly be reading more by this author and recommend him to all lovers of fantasy and fairies.

****1/2 out of 5

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I haven't read this, but it sounds great!! The Little Country is the only de Lint book I've ever read. Actually, it's the book that kind of turned me on to fantasy as a genre. I loved it!!

Will definitely be on the lookout for this one!

Nymeth said...

This sounds good. I really need to read some de Lint.