Saturday, April 28, 2007

Sunshine - Film

Directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting and 28 Days Later etc), this is a sci-fi thriller set in space. The premise is that the sun is dying and the earth is in a peptual winter (and never christmas! Ok so I added that part). Earths last hope is a second go at sending a space ship towards the sun to release a bomb that will give birth to a new star within the old sun. Eight scientists, astronauts and a psychologist are sent on the Icarus II to save the day.

The mission starts well. Everyone is (mostly) getting on and the oxygen garden is growing well with enough oxygen to get them there and a quarter of the way back before they are even half way there. Things take a turn for the worse when they are passing over Mercury where they pick up the distress signal of Icarus I which was lost 7 years previosuly. The decision to either carry on with their mission or stop off to see if there are any survivors turns deadly.

The actors are brilliant (especially the magnificent Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans) and I loved the special effects. It was very thrilling and it kept me on the edge of my seat. It's best to completely ignore the scienctific side of things as it is implausible at best. There was another impossible to believe part which I don't want to mention as it is a bit of a spolier for those who haven't seen it yet, but trust me it was daft.

Definately worth seeing in the cinema to appreciate the scale of it and the size of the sun and space.

**** out of 5 (just remember, science bad!)

1 comments:

Carl V. said...

Haven't heard of this one, but I really like Boyles' work so I'll keep and eye out for it. Sounds great.