Monday, April 09, 2007

A new series by Patricia Briggs about Witches, Werewolves, Vampires and Walkers. Mercedes (Mercy) is a Walker and can transform into a Coyote at will who was mostly raised by Werewolves. Since growing up she became a car mechanic sharing a back wall with a werewolf and fixing cars for local vampire Stefan. Her life changes when a newly Changed werewolf turns up on her doorstep looking for work.

There are obvious parallels with the books by Kelley Armstrong. Both have a female lead character, a variety of supernatural creatures, danger lust and love and a smattering of violence. It did retain some originality and I preferred the characters in this book as they seemed somehow more real despite the supernatural element. I liked the idea of Mercy being a Walker and the stories about the Fae coming out in public was interesting.

At times though it seemed the author was over complicating the plot. It seemed she was trying to cram in a few too many twists, turns and ideas and could have perhaps toned it down nearer the end a little. There were also a couple of discrepencies eg only Bran was supposed to be able to communicate with other werewolves but it seemed Mercy as a coyote and a couple of the wolves could talk to others of their kind as well as humans. It was a little unclear.

Overall though I really enjoyed this book and will definately be reading the next in the series.

**** out of 5

4 comments:

BookRat said...

Sounds great - I really enjoyed all the Kelley Armstrong books :)

Marg said...

This is always being recommended to me on Amazon! It does sound good.

Rhinoa said...

Bookrat - You should definately check this one out. I have the second one in the series as well Blood Bound and I believe a third is on the way in 2008 called Iron Kissed. Very cool books!

Marg - That's where I found it too, it kept coming up on Amazon so I thought why not.

Literary Feline said...

I am looking forward to a month when I am not drowning in challenge books to read so I can lose myself in a book like this. I think I may have a copy on my shelf somewhere. Thanks for the great review!