Saturday, April 28, 2007


This is not the type of film I would usually go and see in the cinema, but the trailer looked like it had been beautifully filmed and on a massive scale so I decided to give it a chance. It is set in China in the Tang Dynasty and follows the Emperor, the Empress and their three sons (the eldest being from the Emperors first wife or first love). Their marriage is not a happy one and the Empress has a lover. The Emperor is slowly poisoning his wife and she swallows her "medicine" despite knowing what is really going on. There are lots of twists and turns and both of the Imperial couple have good cause to be mad at the other and plan their demise. Personally I was routing for the Empress...

Chow Yun-Fat and Gong Li were cast in the starring roles and play their parts convincingly with supporting cast members also doing a great job. As the trailer promised the cinematography was stunning and despite my initial worries the plot was really engaging, apart being quite confusing in places trying to work out who was sleeping with who and who was related to who! I liked the symbolism behind the Imperial flag (the circle within the square) and was amazed at the oppulance of the Imperial Palace, so many crazy colours and embellishments.

I think I might have to watch House of Flying Daggers by the same director as I really enjoyed this film.

***1/2 out of 5

2 comments:

Zeek said...

oooo I have this in que thru blockbuster online! Can't wait to watch it.

House of flying daggers was beauftiful and full of intrigue! I do recommend it!

Zeek said...

Finally watched it and I agree with your review! I cannot believe how opulently beautiful the sets were!