Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fess Up!

Booking Through Thursday

Okay, there must be something you read that's a guilty pleasure . . . a Harlequin romance stashed under the mattress. A cheesy sci-fi book tucked in the back of the freezer. A celebrity biography, a phoned-in Western . . . something that you'd really rather not be spotted reading. Even just a novel if you're a die-hard non-fiction fan. Come on, confess. We won't hold it against you!

Hmm my guilty pleasure is probably reading children's books. Either re-reading ones I loved when I was a kid or new ones to take me back to my younger days. I made the mistake of carrying one to work with me a few months ago and one of the girls saw it. Now everytime I have a book the first thing she asks is if it's a kids book. It's quite annoying as I read a lot of different books and like to consider myself as quite well read... I am not including things like Harry Potter or His Dark Materials as a guilty pleasure (although of course I love both), but things like Roald Dahl, Lois Lowry (the Anastasia books), Jill Murphy (The Worst Witch series) and Brian Jacques (the Redwall series). It's like comfort eating :)

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

No guilty pleasure here...I love young adult books!! I personally don't think you should feel guilty if you are reading something you enjoy!!

alisonwonderland said...

it's like comfort eating.

well said! nothing at all to feel guilty about!

Chris said...

Sometimes reading an old favorite form childhood is what we all need. It definitely is comforting.

Literary Feline said...

Your story brings to mind the comment I got once when I was reading one of my husband's graphic novels at work. There's a couple of books from my childhood I would love to get my hands on and someday reread again. :-)

Bellezza said...

Being a third grade teacher, I have to agree with you that there is great joy in children's literature. There is even greater joy in "hooking" a child into a book. Roald Dahl can be counted on every time, to please us both! Have you ever read The BFG? It's one of my favorites.

Dora said...

Last year, I spent $15 on a worn out copy of How to Steal a Magic Cat from a used bookseller that had an old $0.15 price tag on the front cover, just because I'd read it in elementary school and loved it back then. Reading it again brought back some cozy memories from so long ago. Thanks for visiting my blog!